Equipment, which is used in construction and repair, greatly simplifies the life of craftsmen, regardless of whether you are professionals or amateurs. You can screw in screws manually or use a drill for this purpose, but the comfort of the performer and the quality of work can be improved by using a screwdriver.
The variety of models allows you to choose the best option for yourself, but, at the same time, complicates the task. What you should pay attention to when buying and how to get a quality tool, we will tell in our article.
Brief content of the article:
What is the value of the apparatus
Screwdrivers are sold with a set of optional accessories. These are various attachments and chucks. And the devices themselves have several modes.
This functionality makes it possible to perform a variety of operations:
- Screwing screws and bolts, joining wooden and metal structures;
- disassemble structures by unscrewing screws and removing fasteners;
- effectively secure dowels and anchors;
- Using special nozzles to drill holes or form threads.
The portable and lightweight tool allows you to quickly perform these operations without the need for serious effort and without the risk of injury.
Important selection criteria
Each user independently evaluates what is important to him in a particular tool or its model. You should not make a decision just by looking at pictures of screwdrivers.
Technical characteristics, usability, design, as well as price are important. But when choosing, you should also take into account the purpose, as well as your level of professionalism.
The most universal parameters are:
- Engine power, which affects the speed at which the work is done, and the effort exerted by the craftsman.
- Class. There are household and professional screwdrivers, which differ in functionality. It is also possible to meet and combined variants, which do not belong unambiguously to the specified classes.
- Battery characteristics. For products that can work autonomously, this factor is often decisive. All types of batteries have their advantages and disadvantages, so you need to match them with the mode of future operation and the purpose of use.
- The reliability of the mains mode. If you choose this option, you have to pay attention to reliability and safety.
- Comfort in use.
- Technical parameters, additional options and customization options. Each craftsman chooses the most valuable of these – speed ranges, adjustment of the clamping system, backlighting, etc.
- Price. The more topical the model and the more features it has, the more expensive it will cost. But not all options are important and in demand. That is why you should always choose the variant taking into account the whole complex of criteria.
Tools with batteries
Cordless screwdrivers allow you to do work in remote locations or on sites where there is no electricity.
High mobility and convenience for the doer are important advantages of this type. At the same time, the battery needs to be charged, and the allowable life depends on its type and quality.
Types of batteries.
Nickel-cadmium (NiCd) batteries belong to the economy class, they are inexpensive, but work quite reliably in various weather conditions and temperature fluctuations. They have a long service life in terms of the number of recharges, and the charging process itself is fast.
However, such a battery is large in size and quite heavy. Due to the memory effect, the capacity drops sharply, so it must be regularly fully discharged. The high degree of self-discharge and the toxicity of the constituent substance negatively affect the quality of nickel-cadmium samples.
Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries are highly environmentally friendly and lightweight. They have a high capacity and do not require recharging for a long time. The memory effect is less strong.
The main disadvantage is the impossibility of their operation at sub-zero temperatures, because spontaneous discharging begins. Such a screwdriver must be stored in a charged condition. It should not be left in unheated rooms.
Lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries charge quickly, hold a charge well for long periods of time, and have no memory effect.
Lithium screwdrivers are for professional use and are expensive. That is why it is not reasonable to buy them for home work.
The duration of operation of the screwdriver, without recharging is determined by the capacity of its battery. If for household tools the capacity of 1.3-2 Ah is enough, then professional tools require a longer permissible duration of manipulation – more than 2 Ah.
Quality equipment implies fast charging from the mains. This is especially important in conditions of intensive operations on the construction site. Professional machines are charged in 0.5-1.5 hours, while household machines require a longer time, up to 12 hours.
The voltage varies quite widely, but models for 10.8V, 12V, 14.4V, and 18V are common. For professional activities, as a rule, choose samples with a voltage of 18V, and for home simple manipulations will be sufficient screwdrivers at 10.8V and 12V.
Additional technical parameters
Operational properties are also related to the speed mode. If 2 speeds are optimal for budget-priced units, then professional screwdrivers have three modes:
- 3,500-2,500 rpm;
- 1.5 thousand -1.2 thousand rpm;
- 700-600 rpm.
The advantage of a quality tool is the shut-off function when pressure is relieved. Well, gearboxes with metal gears are a must for quality professional screwdrivers. Polymer or combination gears are allowed in domestic tools.
Depending on a given voltage, you can identify the most popular models:
- The Makita DF030 DWE and the BOSCH GSR10.8-LI L-BOXX stand out among the 10.8-volt screwdrivers;
- For 12-volt options, the AEG BS12G2 LI-152C and Makita 6271DWAE;
- Of the 14.4-volt samples, Bosch PSR14.4 LI-2 and Makita BDF343 SHE;
- Among the 18V units are the RYOBI RID1801M and the DeWALT DCD780C2.
This type of machine requires constant power from the mains. Only the availability of power can ensure the continuity of the construction work process. Since there is no battery, mains screwdrivers weigh considerably less, which reduces the burden on the person.
However, the presence of a cord limits mobility on a construction site. The price for them will be less. It depends mainly on the technical parameters of the model.
The following advantages are also important:
- Increased RPM;
- ability to work in frosty conditions.
When selecting a mains model, the same technical parameters are considered as for the cordless variety. For example, the following parameters are valued:
- Power, which affects productivity and quality of manipulation during repair.
- Torque, which sets the rotation force. The greater it is, the higher the quality of operations and the variety of materials that can be processed. But fixtures will be required to secure the parts.
- RPM control to set the speed of rotation.
Some of the most popular and quality power tools include the Makita TD0101F, Sturm SOFT TOUCH ID2145P, Bosch GSR 6-45 TE + MA 55 Professional, Metabo DWSE 6.3.
Brushless motor models
Tools of this type are more economical, but also more expensive. Electric power consumption is used only to provide rotation of the working part of the machine and the accessories fixed in it. No energy is lost on the brushes and the screwdriver motor windings are not heated.
A brushless screwdriver is characterized by the following parameters:
- The presence of built-in electronics;
- reduced noise level;
- high service life;
- uniformity of rotation;
- optimally selected dimensions;
- safety in operation;
- cooling system with air supply from below;
- hermetic protection of the electrical part of the unit.
Impact type models
The force required to tighten screws, screws, or nuts properly is not applied continuously, without interruption, but impulsively in a frequently repeated series of blows. Impact screwdriver:
- Has a lot of torque;
- can be used when tightening nuts;
- Reduces human strain and the degree of force exerted.
But the drilling speed in impact mode is lower, the design usually uses only hex chucks. A big disadvantage is the inability to use a torque limiting clutch, which requires constant monitoring by the user. Also, this tool is noisy.
A few tips when choosing
You can choose a screwdriver according to different criteria. Some like specific manufacturers, others pay attention to the screwdriver motors, others care about comfort. Here are a few important rules:
Evaluate the torque. For plasterboard and board work, you can use models up to 3 Nm, but for roofing work you need a tool with 40 Nm or higher.
If you’re working with sturdy material, such as brick or concrete, choose the impact versions.
Having a backlight helps with the job. But you can choose a product with a light above the start button or above the battery.
Batteries with a high memory effect are not economical. Therefore, it is not recommended to use such screwdrivers.
For professional activities, choose gears with metal gears. This is a more durable option. In domestic applications, you can also use a plastic model.
Examine the package and the availability of adapters. Screwdrivers with an adapter are more convenient to use if all items are included with the tool.
Pay attention to the battery capacity. Under normal conditions 1.5-2Ah will be sufficient, but for construction you need a higher capacity battery.
Buying a screwdriver, you will be faced with a wide range of possible models. They differ in types and technical parameters. The leaders in this area are devices of brands Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, Metabo. With them, you can not go wrong.
Photo of the best screwdriver
Save the article to your page: