Making firewood for the winter is familiar to almost every resident of the countryside and owners of land plots. And of course for the convenient sawing of firewood you need a special tool, called goats. Surely many people have seen pictures of goats for firewood in magazines or on the Internet. This is not a difficult device, which can be built with their own hands, in addition, it is a must-have in the household. With their help, it is comfortable to engage in the processing of wood, wooden bars or metal profiles.
To solve the question of what to make a goat in the country house is quite easy. After all, to make this simple traditional construction it is enough to use the following materials:
- A wooden bar of an ordinary shape. It is easy to assemble a fixture from this material, but it is afraid of high humidity.
- With wooden posts of medium diameter, which are used for the construction of fences. This method is economical in financial terms, but do not count on its reliability.
- Metal slats, which will ensure the reliability of the structure and will serve for many years.
- Various items sent to scrap metal.
Although a goat for sawing firewood has a simple design, it is essentially a machine tool. Consequently, in the process of making it, some nuances must be taken into account:
- It is necessary to have a plan (drawing) of the future construction with step-by-step instructions and calculation of dimensions of all parts.
- It is important to correctly calculate the slope of the support elements for ease of use.
If you observe these nuances, you will get a reliable, stable and comfortable design of the scaffolding. In addition, thanks to its mobility, it can be installed in any place.
When assembling, the main thing to consider is the dimensionality of the equipment, which depends on:
- the height of a person,
- parameters of the future adaptation,
- the strength and size of the wood to be machined.
Depending on this, the length of time spent on the work will be determined.
A 90-110 cm high fixture is considered a win-win. As a result, the person working behind it will not have to lean forward too much, and the arms will not get too tired thanks to the horizontal position.
There will be minimal strain on the spine, and the work process will be much easier.
Use of other tools
When working wood with a two-handed saw, a stable support for the other hand is required. This should be taken care of in advance when assembling the tool.
It may be possible to make a stop from a fishing line that can be mounted in any desired location.
Chainsaw ruts should have a sturdy surface and a place to freely position the wood for cutting, to avoid clamping the chainsaw itself in the saw blade.
A structure for a common saw.
Hand-held common saw is most often used for cutting firewood of medium size, so the goat will fit standard dimensions and it is not difficult to build it with your own hands, having it available:
- A wooden bar with a section of 10×10 cm and a length of 1 to 1.2 m.
- Bar section of 5×5 cm and a length of 1.0 m for the device legs of the device in the amount of 4 pieces.
- The same bar, but 36 cm long for making “horns” in an amount of 2 pieces.
- 1-inch bars, 2 or 4 pieces for the leg reinforcement device.
- Self-tapping screws in an amount of 30-40 pcs. for fixing parts.
- stain, paint or varnish to protect the gantry from the rotting of beams.
You can also use any improvised material suitable for the construction of the stakes.
To assemble you need to prepare the following tools:
- Hacksaw – for sawing and leveling the surface of the beam,
- Angle – to control the flatness of the elements, important for the stability of construction,
- Graphite pencil for making the necessary marks,
- screwdriver or screwdriver to tighten the fastener,
- tape measure,
- paint brush (4-5 cm).
How to Make a Goat
Once the necessary material and tools are prepared, you can proceed directly to the assembly of the device. First of all, it is worth processing the basic bars. Make a marking for future cuts in the amount of 6 pieces on each side. In total there should be 12 grooves for the device of legs and horns.
To securely fasten each of the grooves, a depth of 2.5 cm is enough. For a tight attachment of the bars, the grooves should be sawed 2-3 mm less than for the legs. After machining and installation of the structure on the legs, you should proceed to the arrangement of fasteners, using self-tapping screws.
Be sure to install the fastener reinforcement parts for secure stability and strength of the fixture, as well as for the safety of the person working.
On the legs, saw off the lower parts so that the fixture reinforcement parts can be installed. The assembled construction should be coated with a protective agent in the form of a stain.
Dry the product and operate it successfully in the household.
In order to make a scaffold for a two-handed saw and similar tools, it is necessary to take care of reinforced stability of the construction. This can be achieved with a thicker bar of at least 100 mm thickness and a metal tie.
The width of the uprights at the bottom is made wider than at the top. In addition, you can provide a wooden coupler made of a normal, not long board.
You can make a fixture mobile by constructing folding trestles. But this is a time-consuming and financially expensive process. You will need: 4 strong small bars, metal pipe length 1-3 m, limiter, drills for wooden parts.
The assembly process is quite simple. From a board with a thickness of 50 mm you need to make bars. Make notch marks for the legs. Make holes for the pipe on each plank.
Run the base into them and install the legs. Install a stop so they don’t slide apart.
The most rugged, stable and long-lasting version of the wood sawing attachment. To build it yourself you will need:
- pipe (angle) with a diameter of 5.0 cm – 5 pieces, for the base,
- wooden bar not more than 10 cm and a section of 50×59 mm,
- A saw or a hacksaw,
- measuring tape,
- piece of chalk,
- welding machine, bolts.
Before you begin the work, you must prepare a sketch of the future fixture. After that, you can start preparing the main beam, with the marks for the device legs and horns.
Then the other necessary structural elements are prepared. For the mobility of the structure, the connecting assemblies must be bolted together so that they can be disassembled if necessary.
The connections of the stationary unit can be welded with a welding machine. Finally, a bar is fixed to the base for the entire length of the structure to avoid contact between the saw and the metal.
Storage and use of gantry
Using our recommendations on how to make a goat, you will create a stable structure, and cutting firewood on it will be a pleasure. You can also see ready-made sketches, photos and videos on the Internet.
The finished product should be able to withstand considerable weight, but it is important to store it in a dry room, avoiding humid climates or moisture.
Equally important is the proper use of the gantry. You should not load too massive and heavy logs on it.
The folding design of the trestle is suitable for cutting firewood using a hand saw or a chainsaw. This device is simply indispensable in the household for cutting firewood and stove logs in order to heat the stove, barbecue or fireplace in the house.
Photo of firewood goats