Bath stoves have long been famous in Russia. They were made using bricks or metal. In the steam rooms they not only washed away the dirt from the body, but also cleansed the soul. Nowadays almost all owners of private houses built on their land, in addition to the dwelling house, also a bath-house. And they prefer to make the furnace for the steam room with their own hands.
Brief content of the article:
Description of the metal bath stove and its main characteristics
You can, of course, buy metal stove in sauna. However, the best option is to make it with your own hands. A simple option is a burzhuyka, which is a metal construction, equipped with a door and a pipe. Low heat output and significant financial costs for the purchase of fuel do not allow the effective use of the heating installation, so it can be seen in rare cases.
Another thing is the modern Iron furnaces. Their attractiveness, high efficiency and the highest index of fire safety are impressive. Produced by Of sheet iron, more than 0.4 centimeters thick. The structural components are:
- For backfilling and storage of stones it is customary to use a heat chamber;
- there is a reservoir designed for storing water with a volume of 30-70 liters.
Iron Bath Furnace Requires facing with refractory bricks. This makes it possible to heat the air in the room evenly and makes the construction completely safe for operation.
Design features of the sauna stove
Iron stoves are distinguished by their construction, the type of which is determined by the drawing.
Such varieties are distinguished:
|Devices with a closed design||Compact, economical. To increase the heat capacity, the units are lined with red refractory bricks both outside and inside. The material is fixed with metal staples. The stone grate is located in the middle of the structure.|
|Devices with open construction||Have a small tank and an open heater. They are installed in the steam room to heat it quickly and efficiently. The galvanized lid, which covers the stones, is necessary for a more efficient design.|
|Combination type structures||A distinctive feature is the presence of a combustion chamber, equipped with two gate valves, an ash pan, a grate, a pair of pipes of different diameters (10cm and 14cm). For such installations are used sheets made of high quality steel. Thickness of iron. reaches 5 mm.|
Iron Bath Stove May include a furnace housing arranged horizontally or vertically in relation to the floor, two chambers with vertical loading and a sauna heater located inside the structure. Bath stove from The iron stove can be three-compartment, with horizontal wood loading, water tank, and a sauna heater.
A vertical firebox gives you the opportunity to save more space in the steam room, but the wood burns for a short time and they will have to be constantly tossed in to maintain the necessary temperature of the ambient air. Horizontal furnace has a significant size, takes up significant free space, but the wood burns more slowly. Devices of this plan are installed outside the steam room (in the anteroom), so there is a real opportunity to heat both rooms simultaneously.
Types of stoves by shape
Metal bath stoves with your own hands Can be shaped like.:
Rectangular fixtures are considered the most in demand because their corner areas are not heated to very high temperatures. The shape of the fixture is directly related to the uniformity of heating both the fixture itself and the room. Cylindrical and circular fixtures have the lowest degree of heat dissipation, so a fairly thick iron for their production. Rectangular structures are enviable in their stability, but have cold corners.
Ways to make an iron stove for a bath with your own hands
Some of the most affordable and common options sauna stoves. is commonly believed to be:
- with three compartments and a vertical boiler;
- with horizontal furnace mounted in the steam room;
- with a sauna heater and firebox door installed in the anteroom;
- boot-shaped, chimney-mounted sauna heater with stainless water tank;
- device lined inside with fireclay brick, outside with red brick.
And cladding with heat-resistant facing bricks is necessary to maintain the temperature in the steam room at 70 degrees. In this case, the walls of the structure are not heated significantly. Due to the high temperature the filling of the sauna heater is heated. The chimney also keeps a considerable temperature, which makes this construction extremely fire hazardous. It is possible to reduce the risk by arranging a sauna heater or a water tank around the chimney.
It is possible to encase the outside of the unit, but the iron walls will burn rather quickly. In order to significantly increase the service life of the structure, you need to take a thick enough iron for The production of the structure sought, or to clad the installation so that there is sufficient free space between the base and the brick.
Injury to human health, prevention of burns to the skin, minimizing the possibility of ignition of wooden structures, furnace structure in the bathhouse The three sides are lined with refractory bricks or a frame made of thin alloy steel. Openings made in the frame help to improve air exchange.
Positive and negative qualities of heating units installed in the bath
Homemade sauna stove From metal is endowed with not only positive qualities, but also negative ones. The main ones are:
|Small size||Has no real ability to store a lot of thermal energy, so it cools down in too short a period of time|
|Heating rate is significant||Will not be able to heat a large room|
|Able to maintain the temperature in the room at the proper level||To ensure fire safety there is a need to equip the enclosure with additional cladding|
|Ability to use improvised materials|
|Low manufacturing costs|
|Significant thermal conductivity|
|Easy to install|
|Doesn’t take a lot of free time|
|It is not necessary to spend a lot of effort and money to build a high-strength base|
Ease of installation and low cost are important components for anyone who has made the decision to fabricate The sauna stove with your own hands from iron. The ability to read correctly blueprints necessary. Non-observance of the technological process, poor quality of materials used, improper or irrational use of the bath structure may contribute to the emergence of the ignition source.
The basic list of materials and auxiliary tools that will be needed to create a stove in the bath with your own hands
If you are determined to build The stove for the bath with your own hands from metal, then first it is necessary to make drawing of the stovewhere the configuration and parameters of the structure, as well as its components will be determined. And drawing of the stove You can draw it yourself, as well as find the necessary version on the Internet.
To get started, you need to purchase tools such as:
- Welding machine.
- Electrodes 3 or 4 millimeters in diameter.
In addition to the above, it is necessary to have:
- 2 or 3 millimeters thick sheet iron.
- Pipe with a diameter of 100 to 150 millimeters.
- Wheel rims in an amount of 4 pieces.
- Iron rebar of 8 or 10-millimeter diameter (can be replaced by a metal bar).
To create a heating installation To a bathhouse from iron will need such building material:
- Sand and crushed stone – about 0.1 cu.
- High quality cement – 3 bags of 50 kg.
- Red brick – about 350 pieces.
It must be considered that the warm air flow is drawn by the discharged cold air flow. And the warm air rises from the bottom to the top. The draft is influenced by weather conditions: in summer, due to warm and humid air, the draft is less. In winter, when it is frosty outside, the draft is stronger. The diameter of the pipe also affects the strength of the draught. With a small diameter chimney, warm air will rub against its walls, resulting in significant braking and an inability to promptly escape from the chimney. The result can be the creation of a smoke jam, which will lead to smoke in the room itself.
Experts recommend that, prior to construction In a bathhouse. iron stove construction, it is necessary to study the principles of pressure, draught, decide on the diameter of the chimney and firebox. A chimney that is too wide will slow the exit of gas and smoke to the outside, which will cause it to become clogged and need constant cleaning. The optimum speed of smoke coming out of the chimney is 5 to 8 m/sec.
Arrange the foundation for a metal bath stove with your own hands
If materials and tools are available, you can start building the structure. First of all, it is necessary to mount the base, on which the structure is subsequently installed. Despite the small weight and small dimensions, the arrangement of the foundation is a prerequisite for the safe location of such a unit in the steam room. Keep in mind that the weight of the new unit will be about 8 tons, and after some time, after drying, its weight will be reduced by half.
The question arises, “How deep should the foundation be made?” This figure is influenced by many factors:
- The strength and porosity of the soil;
- depth of soil freezing;
- the depth of the foundation of the steam room itself;
- the presence of groundwater and the depth of their occurrence;
- what stage of construction the bathhouse itself is at.
If the soil is sandy or dry, you should deepen the foundation by 0.8m. If the soil is porous, you should deepen the foundation below the frost level (usually 1.5 m deep).
When installing. For the stove in bath of any kind, even if it is made with ultra-light thin steel, you need a foundation. The foundation must necessarily be level, so that the structure will not be skewed.
When installing a device made of sheet steel, which weighs at least 150 kg, the construction of the foundation is reduced to the following steps:
- First you need to dig an excavation, fill the bottom with crushed stone and properly tamp it;
- on top of tamped crushed stone is poured cement mortar, consisting of sand (4 parts), cement (1 part), water to obtain a medium consistency. Leave to harden for 24 hours. The so-called substrate is formed;
- to strengthen the waterproofing on the fully cured cement mortar are laid pieces of roofing felt;
- after the excavation is filled with concrete mortar, consisting of gravel of fine fraction (4 parts), cement (1 part), sand (2.5 parts), water (by eye);
- using a construction level, the horizontal position of the foundation is determined clearly.
The foundation should preferably not be operated for a couple of weeks to allow the cement mortar to cure completely.
How to make a stove with your own hands, using metal
I would like to note that it is possible to make a bath stove in different ways using a variety of items. Let’s focus on the most common options.
Building a sauna stove on the basis of an old cylinder
The steps of the work are as follows:
- Find the right wrench and unscrew the cylinder valve.
- To avoid an explosion, fill the cylinder to the brim with water so that the remaining gas is displaced.
- Find the seam on the cylinder at the top and cut off the top of it using a bolt cutter.
- In the cut part we make the holes needed to install the door.
- In the body we make a hole to connect the spigot with the chimney.
- Weld the corners to the cylinder, on which the grates welded from metal rods will be installed.
- The cut off upper part of the cylinder, with the help of welding, is attached back to the place where it was cut off.
- We attach the hinges for the door as well as the latches to the sashes.
- We take a pipe with a diameter of 40 mm, from it we cut out the legs, which are attached to the bottom of the case.
- Fix the chimney pipe.
- To allow the previous coat of paint to burn out completely, you need to take the structure outdoors, melt a fire and burn it well.
- Afterwards, the can is degreased, then painted. What to paint the stove with.? It is best to use heat-resistant enamel. After painting, the construction is well dried.
- The last step is the installation of the bath heating structure on the arranged foundation.
We use iron pipe to make the metal structure
You will need a pipe with a diameter of 530mm for the work. Take the following steps:
- First you have to cut out the bottom, the lid, the partitions of the compartments with a thickness of 0.5 cm.
- After that, the edges of the pipe are prepared.
- Taking into account the diameter of the pipe, the grates are welded.
- Three holes are made: for the hatch, where the stones will be loaded, for the furnace door and the ash pan.
- We make round holes in the partitions, fix them in the pipe to make a structure divided into separate sections.
- One part of the hinge is attached to the top edge of the pipe where the water will be. The other part of the hinge is attached to the lid. The faucet is mounted at the bottom of the tank.
- Weld the hinges for the doors to the holes made beforehand.
- Install the spigot for the chimney.
After the structure installed on the foundation, it is necessary to cover the red ceramic brick. Do not forget about a small gap between the metal walls and the brickwork. To make it convenient to open the doors of the furnace, leave windows in the masonry. Thanks to them it will be possible to regulate the temperature in the steam room. In the process of masonry bricks should use fireclay cement. Bricks are laid on the rib. The thickness of masonry directly depends on the parameters of the rib.
Bath stove in the form of a boot
In finished form, the design is quite bulky and heavy, so experts recommend making its main parts separately, and after folding it like a constructor, on a pre-assembled foundation. It is worth bearing in mind that using a grinder, a hacksaw or a cutter, you will not get to make perfectly straight edges. Therefore, it is advisable to resort to the help of a special tool – a guillotine.
The furnace structure consists of four sections, resembling metal boxes of perfect geometric shape. The firebox (section #1) is connected to the chimney (section #2) by means of a fastening mechanism. The sauna heater (section #3) is installed in the chimney. The water tank (section #4), made of alloy steel, is installed in front of the second box.
We proceed to the fabrication of the metal construction:
- We mark the workpieces on the metal.
- Using the guillotine, we cut blanks with the required parameters.
- The walls of the boxes are folded and signed so as not to be confused.
- We take the section parts and weld them slightly to the bottom wall.
- Using a grinder, cut a hole in one wall through which steam will escape.
- Above the hole another small hole is made, near which the bolts are attached on all sides, to which the door is attached. The fastening is done with brass nuts to prevent oxidation.
- Using asbestos thread, we wrap the door to form an airtight seal. Thanks to it is removed soot and soot.
- Take the second box, in it are made 2 – 4 holes with an indentation of 6 cm from the edge. The pipes will be inserted there.
- We take section #1 and from the end we cut out a section for the door and the ashtray. At the top you make a hole so you can install section #2. To strengthen the hole, on one side of the hole, weld an angle. On the other sides weld 4-cm metal plates.
- The plates are welded to both the outer and inner surfaces, leaving a small distance from the edge and leaving a gap to install the section number 2.
- To strengthen the attachment points of the doors, we weld the plates to section #1 and section #3 on each side.
- We make a grid, using steel bars. Insert it between the ashtray and the firebox.
- To make the firewood burn better, parallel to the ash pan we weld the grates.
- To strengthen the section #3, it is necessary to weld to it small braces of metal.
- Fix a cover with a cutout for the chimney.
- At the place where the chimney is installed, weld the skirt.
- We install the section #3 on the section #2.
- After the complete assembly carefully checked all the sections, the final welding of the structure. Seams must be of high quality, so that they do not separate, and through them did not go inside the room carbon monoxide.
Recommendations of experts on the installation of an iron sauna stove
The main point is to have a quality foundation. After that, it is necessary to take a number of measures aimed at fire safety, which are as follows:
- Install the metal stove from the wall should be at least 100cm.
- To prevent the room from catching fire, it is necessary to cover the walls in the immediate vicinity of the structure with foil and thermal insulation material, which will enable the wooden walls to avoid ignition.
- An iron furnace assumes that there is chimney insulation. You can resort to the help of sandwich – pipes.
- It is mandatory to build a brick sarcophagus on top of the iron stove. Its appearance will improve, increasing safety from possible burns when touching the hot metal walls of the furnace.
Without a stove, the bath becomes incomplete and meaningless. Only with a properly installed metal sauna stove you can quickly heat the steam room and create high-quality steam, so necessary for a great time in the bath and improving the physical condition of the person.
There is no need to purchase metal structures in specialized stores. With a little experience, acquiring the necessary materials and tools, you can make a quality iron bath stove with your own hands, which by its characteristics and aesthetic qualities will not be inferior to foreign analogues.
100 photos of a metal stove for the bath: