As a rule, when installing gates, the owner of the site is guided by one goal – to prevent free access. With this task can cope with gates of various types and designs. When selecting the appropriate type, the ease of use and compactness are the most common guidelines.
Sliding gates meet these needs, so they are quite a popular type of gate. The design is a complex mechanism, but many manufacturers offer a ready-made version with all the components for sale. It is also possible to install the sliding gate yourself, with patience and creativity.
The appearance of sliding gates is also not bad and can become a real decoration of the site. Therefore, when choosing a suitable design, take into account all the nuances. To do this, you can read the photos of sliding gates, which in abundance can be found on the Internet.
Pros and cons
The positives of roller gates include:
- Compactness. They do not take up much space, allowing free movement of transport.
- Bottom-mounted cantilever system provides reliability and ease of installation in all weathers.
- The ability to be creative with the finishes – a wide range of material. It is possible to finish the gate with profiled sheet or forging.
- A wide range of variations.
- Long use time.
- Application of automated systems.
Sliding gates also have some disadvantages. Let’s list them:
- You’ll have to spend more money to install this option than you would with any other gate.
- The cantilever part requires the creation of a base – a foundation – for its installation.
- Despite the significant savings in space overall, additional space will be needed for the slide-in part.
Varieties of designs.
The modern stage of society is characterized by an abundance of different forms and designs. The same applies to sliding gates.
One of the variations is the suspension gate. It has been in existence since ancient times and is characterized by high reliability.
The essence of hanging gates is that the material on wheels is attached to beams located at a height of about five meters. That is, a kind of height limitation for machines is formed.
The cantilever variation. As mentioned earlier, the variation is resistant to weather conditions such as snow, wind gusts and so on. The cantilevered gate does not set any limits on machine height. The design requires the construction of a foundation for stability.
A modification of the gate that is based on helical piles. Piles of metal with a length of about 1.5 meters are placed in the ground and play the role of load-bearing. As a rule, they are made and installed in a short period of time – 3 days.
Mechanical design – requires manual opening and closing. Undoubted advantages of the variation will be easy installation and low cost. Not a bad option for installation in a place that is not often visited.
A gate with an automatic mechanism is the most convenient option for constant use.
Another interesting option is a gate with a wicket door.
Calculating the dimensions of the structure
You should start the calculations before starting the installation and even before buying the gate itself. The whole procedure is:
- Determine the dimensions of the opening, according to which the design and dimensions will be chosen.
- Calculate the counterweight.
- Assume the weight of the gate.
- Create design sketches, gate drawings.
You can do all of these calculations yourself, it’s easier but more expensive to call in specialists.
Let’s look at what the meaning and significance of each element of the calculation procedure is.
What are the dimensions of the opening for? The dimensions of the opening will determine the dimensions of the gate. For example, the width of the door will be the sum of the width of the opening, the width of the closing and opening indents, and the width of the opening from the center to the center of the carriages. Thus, the door will be wider than the opening.
Equilibrium. To achieve equilibrium of the wings, it is necessary to calculate a counterweight so that the weight of the gate is evenly distributed.
The weight of the flaps is calculated to determine using the standards of the guide beam. The period of operation of the structure will depend on it. The calculation is made by determining the weight of the materials from which the sashes are made.
On the basis of the above, the strength of the constituent parts is calculated. These include the roller, the catcher, the supporting rail. In other words, the parts are called components for sliding gates.
The strength must be calculated to determine whether the gate can withstand wind gusts of a certain strength. To ensure stability in windy conditions, it is necessary to select such a combination of doors and fittings in which the strength of parts would be higher than the calculated weight of the sashes.
What does the structure consist of
As part of the sliding gate are the following parts necessary for the installation of the gate:
- The guiding beams, which act as a load-bearing;
- Supports for the rollers;
- A roller that can be removed;
- sail and load controllers – catchers;
- A bracket is used as an attachment to protect the gate from wobbling;
- The support that allows the leaves to move and the support to it.
Also part of the sliding gate on a cantilever base is the foundation. The supports for the rollers are placed on it and the load is distributed on them. The rollers themselves are placed inside the cantilever.
The sashes themselves must also meet certain requirements. Such as stability, reliability in bad weather, strong wind, some rigidity. All these requirements ensure the functioning of the gate leaves.
A diagram of the sliding gate can visualize the composition of the structure.
The sash will move inside, within the site and nothing should interfere with it. It is necessary to consider such points when preparing the opening for the gate. And only after taking into account all the details, you can install a sliding gate on your property.
The installation procedure can be divided into several stages:
- Foundation – must be done to create stability;
- Conducting an electric current;
- location of a special post in a certain place;
- introduction into the gate automation system and starting it up.
Thus, you can install sliding gates with your own hands, or you can use the services of professionals.
Photos of sliding gates